Monday, January 25, 2010

MRI Brain Scan

I had an interesting case the other day at work. A patient came into the ER with severe headaches, lightheadedness, confusion, and very weak. He was in his late 60's and had known lung cancer, which was being treated with chemo and radiation. The ER physician ordered a brain MRI w/wo contrast to rule out any anatomical abnormalities, stroke, and/or metistatic disease.
As I began to scan him, I notices several questionable areas on the T2's and FLAIRs. After I injected the contrast and ran my post axial T1 fat-sat, there was one large enhancing mass in his cerebellum as well as numerous ring-enhancing lesions; too many to even count. It ended up being METS from his lung cancer. I've only been in MRI for two years, but I've never seen so many lesions at once before. It was definitely a case you would see in a textbook.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have the case on a CD if possible for educational purposes!

    ReplyDelete